What kind of cars are auctioned off on this site?
This site is ran by the Towing Association. Towing Professionals auction off their abandoned vehicles on this site. These vehicles are available to registered buyers for bidding. All vehicles are sold AS IS.
How does the Auction work?
There are several types of auctions on this site, and the bidding for each type is different:
- Online-Only Auction - Vehicles are listed for auction online ONLY, and are auctioned off eBay-style. Bidders must place their bids before the auction ends. Highest bidder wins. PLEASE NOTE - Bidders are allowed to place a Proxy/MAXIMUM bid in the system, allowing the system to bid on their behalf up to this maximum amount. If the vehicle sells for less than their maximum the bidder wins the auction at the last bid amount.
- Pre-Bidding - Vehicles are listed for preliminary bidding online, which is conducted in the same manner as Online-Only Auction with bids accepted up to a certain time. At the end of pre-bidding the highest bidder's bid is taken and presented during the LIVE auction, which happens later on the same day. Again, bidders may place their MAXIMUM bid during pre-bidding. During the live auction this bid will compete against other bidders on premises. If the vehicle sells for less than the maximum then the bidder gets it for the last bid amount.
- Pre-Bidding with Live Broadcast - same as #2, but with the addition of a live internet broadcast of the live auction after the Pre-Bidding ends, allowing bidders to place bids real time over the internet. Bidders have an option of submitting their MAXIMUM bid during pre-bidding, and letting the system bid on their behalf, or participate in the live auction online and submit bids real time. Note: For submitting bids in real time you must be logged in during the broadcast.
- Sealed-Bid - Vehicles are listed for auction, but the highest bids are NOT displayed. Bidders are to submit their MAXIMUM bid up to defined time, and then wait for the results. If your bid is the highest, the vehicle will be awarded to you after the auction end for the amount of your maximum bid.
- Reserve Price- A Reserve Price is a hidden minimum price that the seller is willing to accept for a vehicle. In a Reserve Price auction, the seller is only obligated to sell the item once the bid amount meets or exceeds the Reserve Price.
Each vehicle listed on the site has it's "Auction Type" defined to one of the types above, which is displayed on each listing, ensuring interested bidders know exactly how to bid on each vehicle.
What does the bid amount include?
The bid amount on this site covers the price of the vehicle at the auction. Auction fees, loading fees, documentation fees, transportation costs, etc are not included in the bid amount, and are added on top of it, if applicable. These additional fees vary from item to item, depending on the price of the vehicle, or the seller guidelines. Additional fees are listed on each vehicle detail page.
Can I visit your location and buy a vehicle on the spot?
All vehicles are available for viewing in person at the seller location. You can not buy the car outright, but you can bid on it during the auction. If the auction type for the vehicle in question is "Pre-Bidding" or "Pre-Bidding with Live Broadcast" you can participate in the live auction in person, if you wish.
When preliminary bidding has ended. Is my bid the highest?
If your bid is the highest at the end of the Preliminary bidding, it will be automatically presented by the system during the live auction, at the end of which you are automatically notified via e-mail and your online account on this site. It is your responsibility to check your e-mail and bid status by selecting the `My Account` / `My Bids` option after logging into the system.
My bid was the highest at the end of Pre-Bidding auction. Why did I receive notice after bidding ended that I didn't win the vehicle?
Even though you may hold the highest bid during Pre-Bidding, the Live Auction may have received and accepted a higher bid from another bidder. The system will only bid on your behalf up to the your MAXIMUM bid amount. That`s why we encourage our customers to submit their ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM bid they are willing to pay for the vehicle. Alternately you can participate in live auction online (if broadcast is available) or in person.
When will I be notified of the results from the Live Auction?
Customers with highest preliminary bid are notified of the results from the subsequent Live Auction by e-mail. Additionally the results are posted under customer`s ‘My Account’ section. The results are usually published by the end of the day of auction.
When will I be notified of the results from the Sealed-Bid Auction?
Customers submit their MAXIMUM bids through the system without knowing if their bid is the highest. Once the auction is over, all bids are compared and the bidders are notified of the results by e-mail. Additionally the results are posted under customer`s ‘My Account’ section. The results are usually published by the end of the day of auction.
How does Proxy/Maximum Bidding Work?
For example, a vehicle is in auction with a starting bid price of $200.
If bidder A places a proxy bid of $500.00 for the vehicle, our system will start his bid at $200 and bid up to $500.00 automatically on his behalf.
When bidder B visits the auction, he sees the current bid price as $200. If bidder B decides to place a bid for $225, he will be outbid immediately by bidder A, and the new minimum bid will be $230. In order to outbid the first bidder, he would need to bid at least $500.01.
If bidder B places a bid for $500, which matches bidder A's maximum bid amount, then bidder A would still be the high bidder, but the new minimum bid would be $500.01.
How do I pay for the car?
PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS AND RULES
The customer must pay the amount due in full directly to the seller no later than 2 business days from sale confirmation notification. Once an bid is accepted, we send a Sale Confirmation Notification via e-mail to the customer and update the customer’s invoice on this site. The customer is responsible for checking his updated invoices (by selecting “My Account” --> “My Transactions/My Documents”) and e-mail. All accounts with payments after the specified due date will be charged a Late Fee of $25 per day per item.
- Payment Terms: Amounts Due may be paid by any of the methods of payment accepted by the particular seller, which are listed on vehicle details page and on invoice. Vehicle may also have auction fees, which are also listed on vehicle details page and invoice.
- Late payment fee/penalties: If a vehicle is not paid within 2 days from the auction day, it will incur $25/day late fees. If a vehicle is not paid within 7 days, vehicle will be re-listed, your account will be suspended, you will be required to pay a $200 reinstatement fee prior to bidding again.
- Storage Fee: The seller will store any item you have purchased up to 4 days beginning from the day the vehicle was purchased (4 business days) at no charge. After that, buyer will incur a $25 per day per item Storage Fee, including weekends. If the vehicle is not picked up within 2 weeks from the auction date the seller has the right to consider the vehicle abandoned and to resell it without further reimbursement to the customer, so PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR VEHICLE IS PICKED UP ON TIME.
- Additional Fees & Services: If required, loading fees will apply depending on the type of equipment transporter has. Pickup/Delivery: The customer may pick up any item in person or hire a transportation company/broker to facilitate the transport of their vehicle. Instant transportation quote is available on each vehicle listing, or on the website www.HaulMatch.com.
What forms of payment are acceptable?
Each seller defines his own accepted methods of payment. Please refer to vehicle listing page, or your invoice, or call seller directly to confirm the accepted methods of payment.
Do all vehicles come with the TITLE?
No! A lot of vehicles auctioned off on this site are abandoned vehicles, and come with abandonment paperwork, which vary by municipalities. Please refer to each vehicle description to find out what paperwork the vehicle comes with.
Does the name on the driver`s license have to match the account information?
- Private party: Yes, the purchaser's name displayed on the driver’s license must match your account information!!! Otherwise, per DMV regulations, the title (or other DMV paperwork) can not be sent to you. NOTE: If the title (or other DMV paperwork) will be in a company`s name, please provide us a letter (on company letterhead) stating that the customer (i.e. purchaser of the vehicle) is the owner or an authorized employee of that company. The seller must have a copy of drivers license front and back to issue the document.
- Recyclers / Dismantlers / Dealers: The vehicle documents will be reassigned to your company name, provided you have supplied your Professional License # and Tax ID # during the registration.
Can I have the title / vehicle supporting documents mailed to an address/name different from the address/name on my account?
Normally the title or other vehicle supporting documents are picked up together with the vehicle, but you desire to have the paperwork mailed instead, any requests for changes to the address/name have to be done in advance directly with the seller. Otherwise the title or other supporting documents WILL BE ISSUED IN THE NAME OF THE PERSON ON THE ACCOUNT and given to the person picking up the vehicle or mailed to the address on the account. Also, if you want the title / other supporting documents to be mailed to your shipping company, please request that in advance!
When will I receive the title? How will it be mailed to me?
We encourage buyers to pick up their titles or other supporting documents together with the vehicle. We are unable to provide an estimated time frame for delivery of the documents to the customer. All titles are mailed to customers (USA and Canada destinations) via USPS regular mail. Expedient delivery services available at buyers expense.
What is NMVTIS?
NMVTIS is National Motor Vehicle Title Information System implemented by US Department of Justice. The NMVTIS is designed to protect consumers from fraud and unsafe vehicles and to keep stolen vehicles from being resold. NMVTIS is also a tool that assists states and law enforcement in deterring and preventing title fraud and other crimes. All states DMV`s report the data to NMVTIS and check against NMVTIS database every time the title is transferred. DMV`s have the right to deem any title branded according to the records in the NMVTIS database. All Clean title vehicles sold through salvage auctions have a chance of the title becoming salvage when processed by DMV. Please refer to http://www.vehiclehistory.gov for details.
What do I need to pick up the vehicle?
Full payment for the vehicle including any applicable auction fees and required paperwork. Without it the vehicle will not be released to you or to the shipping company.
When can I pick up the vehicle?
Vehicle pick up hours are listed on the site, and can be confirmed with the selling facility. Also note, that the vehicle can not be released to you if your paperwork is missing, or if you have an outstanding balance.
Can I drive a salvage vehicle home?
No. A salvage vehicle can NOT be driven legally on the roads until it is “reconstructed”. Typically, the vehicle needs to be towed to your designated location. Then the vehicle undergoes the “reconstruction” process as per your state’s guidelines. Finally, once the “reconstruction” process is complete, you can register and insure the vehicle to be driven on the roads.
How much does it cost to ship a car?
We do not ship cars, but for buyers convenience there is a HaulMatch shipping calculator on each vehicle listing. You may also work with the seller on vehicle delivery for extra fee.
You may also hire a shipper/broker of your choice. Please note: to receive an accurate shipping quote, advise your broker that the vehicle to be transported is INOPERABLE (unless it is explicitly specified on our site that the vehicle “runs and drives”).
International Customers: When exporting a vehicle from the US, it is important to understand commercial, shipping and legal documentation and processes. As a convenience, we have provided a link to the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol website, which you can use as a reference click here for more- Again, HaulMatch.com can facilitate the transport of your vehicle from Origin to your country Destination Port, or to US Exit Port (in case you want your Shipping Agent to handle the ocean segment of the transport)
Does the vehicle have keys?
Many vehicles come without keys. Therefore, we do NOT guarantee the availability of keys.
How can I obtain a key for the vehicle?
We suggest the following three ways to obtain a key for your vehicle:
- From VIN. Contact a local authorized dealer (for your vehicle make) and inquire if a key can be made from the VIN
- From Ignition Code. If the local authorized dealer cannot make a key from the VIN, then ask if a key can be made from the code engraved on the ignition. This would require removal of the ignition in order to view the code.
- From Ignition. Take your vehicle’s ignition to a locksmith, who will be able to make a key specific to the ignition.